[Home] [The Bethel Memorial, Incorporated] [Other churches associated with Bethel's history]

Buck Marsh Baptist Church
(now Berryville Baptist Church)


(Click on the image above for their official website)

This was the parent church of Bethel as the congregation were originally members of Buck Marsh. The original building no longer stands but was located approximately under the VA 7 overpass on US 340 north of Berryville, VA.

There was a graveyard that was part of the original church grounds and what graves that were found were moved to Green Hill Cemetery. Rev. James Ireland is suppoed to have been buried at Buck Marsh but his grave was not found. Buck Marsh later became Berryville Baptist Church. The congregation moved from the original Buck Marsh meeting house to a new building in Berryville. The original church building was abandoned cir 1830s and was in ruins by the Civil War and no longer stands today.

(Information on Buck Marsh courtesy of Mary Morris, Archivist for Clarke County Historical Association.)

A plaque just north of the US 340 & VA 7 intersection on US 340 (southbound lane) reads:

BUCK MARSH
BAPTIST CHURCH

------o------

ORGANIZED NEAR THIS SPOT BY
WM. AND DANIEL FRISTOE IN 1772.
CONSTITUTED BY ELDERS JOHN
MARKS AND JOHN GARRARD. THE
LATTER SERVING AS PASTOR.
JAMES IRELAND SERVED AS PASTOR
FROM 1778-1806 AND IS BURIED
HERE.

VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY, 1958

"Buck Marsh Baptist Church" sign
(Closeup of sign)
Here is a photo of the sign showing the location of Buck Marsh Baptist Church

Berryville Baptist Church Cemetery (Findagrave)

[Next page]

© 1997 steer_family@hotmail.com